Monday, September 25, 2006

Hot in Mama's House

Dear Sisters,

I am a 35 year-old single, divorced mother of one child. I live with my mother. It is a very difficult situation because my mother thinks I'm lazy. She doesn't understand why a person who is up from 5 a.m. until about 11 p.m. most nights doing something besides relaxing is tired. She also says that I can't have a male friend to come visit me in her home. She always gets mad at me about something or the other. She tells me she will be glad when I get out of her house. But if I go out and stay late and my child isn't there with her, she gets mad because she is home by herself. So sisters, tell me what do you think--what would you say to mom?

Jena: If I were in your position, I would not say anything to my mom. At least nothing more than I love her and will always be a part of her life. I would simply try to find the resources to get out on my own.

Michele: Sweetie, get out of your mother's house.

Elana: Although I understand that you do not want to hurt your mother’s feelings, you are an adult with adult responsibilities and you are not happy with this arrangement. And since this is true, the only answer is to get on with your own life. Your mother has lived her own life the way she chose--and continues to do so. Now you must do the same.

No comments: