Sunday, September 24, 2006

Excusemaker or Realist

Dear Sisters,

I’m often told that I can achieve anything if I give it my all. However, I feel there are some things that some people are just not good at. By this comment, do you think I am not trying hard enough and making excuses, or do you agree that some people are just not good at some things?

Jena: It is a question only that person can answer. I do believe different people have different strengths. That being said, in my lifetime I cannot recall an instance when something that I set out to learn was not within my grasp. Well, maybe one instance—a singer I am not. However, I can recall times when something was beyond the effort I was willing to put forth. I will say that in my heart, I have always known when it was my ability or when it was my attitude that was the obstacle. There have certainly been times when I ignored my heart and labeled my “excuse” as “the reason” for not giving my best.

Michele’: Personally, I believe that you can achieve anything you want to achieve. But I also think that you may not be as good as others at those achievements. On the other hand, you might also be the very best.

Elana: I believe it can be either or. Sometimes you make excuses that you cannot do something because you do not want to put forth the effort. And sometimes, you really may not be that good at it. But try it before you dish it.

No comments: