Friday, December 29, 2006

Daddy Was a Hound Dog

Dear Sisters,

My father passed away three years ago and while going through his things I discovered several incriminating photos. The problem is that the photos included my father and women other than my mother. If I had never seen these photos, I would have remembered my father as a wonderful man. He was hardworker, a good husband and father, and heavily involved in our church. But now my memories are tainted by these horrible photos. But a bigger issue is that my mother just keeps talking about how wonderful he was. She doesn't know about the photos. I just want to show them to her so she too can put the perfect man to rest. Would it be cruel to tell her?

Jena: It has been said that the truth will make you free? But what else does it make you? In the long run this truth might be more than you bargained for.

Michele: I think that you should share it with you mother. Perhaps it will not only put her memories in perspective, but it might also allow both of you to come to terms with who your father really was as a person. He was human. Although your father was a low-down trifling human in one respect, he did have some really good qualities. There are a lot of men who are just low-down and trifling--and, nothing else.

Elana: I would let that dog lie. Your father is dead. Your mother is content with her memories. Making her miserable is not going to make you any less miserable. So, what would be the point?

No comments: