Sunday, November 19, 2006

Christmas Dilemma

Dear Sisters,

I have a sister who seems to think Christmas is definitely a time for giving gifts. She thinks that no matter what your situation is you should be able to do so. My sister says that even if you go to the dollar store that as long as you are giving it doesn't matter. On the one hand I think that it is nice if you can give gifts, but I prefer life and love overall. Besides this is a day of celebration--know what I mean! What do you think?

Jena: Christmas is the day we celebrate the birth of Christ—nothing more, nothing less. How one chooses to celebrate that wondrous event is a personal decision. However, I do find it is sad that the custom of gift giving at Christmas has diminished to a level where some feel it is an obligation rather than an expression of good will. I think it sad that some have moved to the point where the value of a one-dollar gift given in the true spirit of love is unequal to an expensive gift given in the true spirit of love.


Michele: Athough we know Christmas time is the celebration the birth of Christ, some of us tend to think of it as a season for giving presents when it should be gifts. By gifts, I mean symbols of life and love. I say this because with all of the gifts I receive they do not amount to joy of seeing my family alive and well, bringing me joy and laughter. When all of my friends and family are gone I feel so empty, even though the presents are still there.

Elana: Christmas is about love and family. But, if you can give non-stressfully that too is nice. But if you can't give having love and being with your family should be more than enough.

No comments: